All Stories: 549
Stories
Sort by:
Howard Peters Rawlings Conservatory: Glass Greenhouses for the histroic Druid Hill Conservatory
Established in 1888 as the Druid Hill Conservatory, the Howard P. Rawlings Conservatory has grown from the original Palm House and Orchid Room to include three greenhouses, two display pavilions, and…
Druid Hill Park Pool No. 2: Memorial Pool Recalling Swimming during Segregation
Built in 1921, Pool No. 2 in Druid Hill Park served the recreational and competitive swimming needs of over 100,000 Black residents Baltimore. Pool No. 2 measured just 100’ x 105’ (half the size of…
Moorish Tower
Designed and built by George Frederick in 1870, the Moorish Tower remains an impressive sight for anyone visiting Druid Hill Park or driving on the Jones Falls Expressway. The structure stands over…
Pavilion Building at Hopkins Plaza
Built in 1970, the Pavilion Building is a companion to the adjacent Mercantile Bank & Trust building – both designed by architects Peterson and Brickbauer. Once home to the stylish Schrafft's…
Old Southwestern District Police Station
Since the doors opened at the former Southwestern District Police Station house on July 17, 1884, the square brick building at Pratt and Calhoun Streets has served the city in many different ways.…
St. Vincent Cemetery: A Long-Forgotten Burial Ground in Clifton Park
St. Vincent Cemetery opened in 1853 on a 5-acre parcel located on the country estate of philanthropist Johns Hopkins, which was then located just outside of Baltimore City in today's Clifton Park.…
Etting Cemetery: Baltimore's Oldest Jewish Cemetery
Behind an unassuming brick wall on North Avenue near Pennsylvania Avenue is an historic cemetery that many people drive by, but few know anything about.
Congressman Parren Mitchell House: A "beautiful and decent residence" for a Civil Rights activist
1805 Madison Avenue was built around 1886, when the property was first advertised in the Baltimore Sun as available to rent for $35 per month. In July 1888, Benjamin and Rosetta Rosenheim purchased…
Robert Long House
Just around the corner from the busy shops and restaurants of Thames Street is the Robert Long House at 812 South Ann Street, the very image of a handsome eighteenth century colonial residence and one…
The Patterson
The first Patterson Theater to occupy 3136 Eastern Avenue opened in 1910. In 1918, Harry Reddish purchased the building to renovate and redecorate it. He reopened it two years later and renamed it the…
Crown Cork & Seal on Eastern Avenue
When Baltimorean William Painter invented the bottle cap in 1891, it didn’t take long for beverage companies (beer brewers in particular) to realize its value, and for Painter to realize he needed to…
Munsey Building: Former Home to the Baltimore News and the Equitable Trust Company
The Munsey Building was erected by and named after the publisher, Frank Munsey, who had purchased the Baltimore News to add to his publishing empire. Though he wanted the paper, he did not like the…
Walters Art Museum
The Walters Art Museum, so named for William Walters and his son Henry, began as a private art collection. Born in 1819, William was the first of eight children. At age 21 he moved to Baltimore and…
Church & Company: A new use for the old Hampden Presbyterian Church
Workers laid the cornerstone of the Hampden Presbyterian Church in 1875 and dedicated the building two years later. The sturdy structure is made of Texas Limestone, named for the unincorporated town…
Highfield House: Midcentury Modernist Landmark by Mies van der Rohe
The Highfield House is an outstanding example of International Style architecture totaling 265,800 square feet in fifteen stories. The Highfield House apartment building was designed by Architect…
Lillie Carroll Jackson Civil Rights Museum
From 1935 until her retirement in 1970, Lillie Carroll Jackson was president of the Baltimore chapter of the NAACP and for much of this time her home on Eutaw Place was a hub of civil rights…
Sudbrook Park
Frederick Law Olmsted pastoral style, seen in Sudbrook Park, created a sense of peace and a place to restore the spirit.
Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church
The congregation at Sharp Street Memorial United Methodist Church began in 1787, the first African American Methodist congregation in Baltimore. By 1802, the congregants had purchased their first…
Loudon Park Cemetery
James Carey originally sold the generous country estate that became Loudon Park Cemetery in 1853. The new owner, James Primrose, built a stone wall with an ornamental railing at the cemetery entrance…
AIABaltimore at 11 1/2 W. Chase Street
Founded in 1871, the Baltimore Chapter of The American Institute of Architects is the third oldest in the country. AIABaltimore serves as the voice of the architecture profession in the Baltimore…
Dickey Memorial Presbyterian Church: A 19th Century Church in an 18th Century Village
Dickey Memorial Presbyterian Church (DMPC) is a small congregation located in Dickeyville, an urban enclave of historic homes that was founded in 1772.
Polish Home Club: Dom Polski on Broadway
The Polish Home Club, known then as the Polish Home Hall, opened to six hundred members of the Polish community on August 11, 1918, in an area of Fell's Point known as “Little Poland.” Baltimore’s…
Mitchell Family Law Office
1239 Druid Hill Avenue served as law offices for Juanita Jackson Mitchell, Clarence Mitchell, Jr. and other members of the Mitchell family.
Juanita Jackson and Clarence Mitchell, Jr. House: A Home for Civil Rights on Druid Hill Avenue
Juanita Jackson and Clarence Mitchell moved to 1324 Druid Hill Avenue in 1942, the same year Clarence started working at the Fair Employment Practices Commission set up by President Roosevelt to fight…
Harry Sythe Cummings House: The Final Home of Baltimore's First Black City Councilman
A neglected brick rowhouse at 1318 Druid Hill Avenue was once the residence of Baltimore’s first black City Councilman Harry S. Cummings.
Harry S. Cummings, his wife Blanche Teresa Conklin and their…
Freedom House: A Hub for Civil Rights Lost to Demolition
1234 Druid Hill Avenue had a story unlike any other. When builders erected the house in the nineteenth century it was one of many handsome Italianate rowhouses in the northwestern suburbs of the city.…
Dr. John E.T. Camper House
639 N. Carey Street is the former residence of Dr. J.E.T. Camper. In 1942, Baltimore NAACP official Dr. J. E. T. Camper and Juanita Mitchell worked with the Citizens Committee for Justice (CCJ), to…
Warner T. McGuinn House
Warner T. McGuinn was a lawyer and Civil Rights activist who served two terms as on the Baltimore City Council. McGuinn lived on Division Street with his wife Anna L. Wallace and daughter Alma.
Fire Museum of Maryland
The Fire Museum of Maryland is one of the largest fire museums in America. Located in Lutherville, just north of Baltimore City, the Museum is a leading institution in preserving, restoring, and…
Rev. Harvey Johnson and Amelia Johnson House
As African Americans in Baltimore sought to redefine themselves in the 1880s -- politically, geographically, socially -- the city’s black pastorate served as a vital source of leadership. None of this…